Friday, September 3, 2010

Corby's Party Book

We already established back in July with my Southern Comfort post that I'm not a drinker, but that still won't stop me from posting this fun 20-page booklet by Jas. Barclay & Co., Limited (published sometime in the 50's or 60's obviously) called "How to Be the Grand Host." Half of the booklet contains your typical booze recipes for whiskey sours and mint julips etc, but the real gold contained here are the wonderful illustrations accompanying the six "fascinating games" pages. I especially love how Corby's decided to skip the usual "sexy girl / rugged adventure male" youthful appeal angle of most alcohol advertisment, and instead fill it full of old bald antiquarians lounging around together and playing silly parlour games like the "Mighty Goliath" and "The Great Profile." So here ya go you crazy party peeps, now you too can become the life of your next swingin', All-Grandpa, 23-Skidoo, Super Shin-dig!











UPDATE: I've started a new job this week, so AEET posts (and at THOIA too) might be a bit sparse here and there depending upon my schedule. I do promise to continue delivering quality posts though... just a heads up, thanks for stopping by!

8 comments:

Mr. Cavin said...

Wait. Did they just give me a recipe for whiskey on the rocks? Oh come on. They even went so far as to tell me that men generally like this drink because there is no water in it to dilute the strong whiskey taste. What? What do they think ice is made out of, anyway?

Love the spot color on the art here. I think I like these boozer recipe books best so far. Thanks Karswell!

Prof. Grewbeard said...

someone should write the Surrealist Party Book and include the Exquisite Corpse as a drinking game...

antiquarians are the ones that really need their drink, y'know!

good luck with the job, at least you have one...

Mr. Karswell said...

>I think I like these boozer recipe books best so far. Thanks Karswell!

My pleasure Mr C! And I agree with you on the spot coloring.

>antiquarians are the ones that really need their drink, y'know!

haha, good one Prof! I think. Alcohol Culture is as alien to me as Coffee Culture... I'll never understand either.

Trying to decide on what the next post will be, but I hope you like it none the less. It's coming!

Anonymous said...

I wonder if the Mighty Goliath trick really works?

Mr. Karswell said...

>I wonder if the Mighty Goliath trick really works?

Good question... if anyone has tried this, or is planning to try it, let us know how it works!

Mr. Cavin said...

RE: Mighty Goliath. Well you can try it at home, actually. Find something that weighs thirty pounds (a half-full Xerox paper box, the crossbar of a barbell, a standard cinder block), and try to lift it with two fingers. Did it work?

That approximates the weight you would have to hoist, with five of your friends, to get a hundred fifty pound person off the ground. (That would also exert thirty pounds of pinpoint pressure on sensitive spots of you victim's body--places like their armpits and under their chin. Shudder.) Lots of US males weigh a good deal more than one fifty, so you will need at least a sixth person, assuming you could pass the test in the first paragraph. Possibly you would want eighteen, bringing it closer to ten pounds of lift each (about two red bricks, or maybe a six pack of Foster's Lager).

Good luck.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Crafty C said...

man - i love that they have all those goofy old dudes huddled around performing the Mighty Goliath on another goofy old dude! esp since in the instructions it specifies that 5 women perform the trick on one dude.

this is a really progressive drink guide!!

and as per usual i LOVE the ice cubes!!