Friday, July 22, 2011

Heigh-Ho for Halloween!

We started off the month with some Xmas in July fun, now looking at my calendar I see we are exactly 100 DAYS away from HALLOWEEN 2011! And there is certainly no time like the present to get excited about the best holiday of the year, so how about mood enhancers for you from two 1940's book sources, the first: selections from Elizabeth Hough Sechrist's classic "Heigh-Ho for Halloween" (1948), with neat little illustrations from Guy Fry, followed by highlights from "Spooks and Spirits and Shadowy Shapes" (1949), featuring wonderfully atmospheric art by Robert L. Doremus.















9 comments:

Mykal Banta said...

OK. Here is why I love this blog: artwork that would otherwise be lost to the ages. Just look at that inking!!! Wonderful stuff.

Mr. Cavin said...

Yeah, these are great, man. I love the Halloween clip art from the first book, but the illustrations (and especially the cover) from the second book were solid gold.

Tonight it was actually pretty cool here (in the fifties), and windy, so it was really super easy to imagine that fall is right around the corner. So this post was good timing for me.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful images! I wish Halloween wasn't so far away now though!
~Lisa

Unknown said...

Wonderful!!

Tara said...

Love these! Vintage holiday imagery is my favorite!

Mr. Karswell said...

Thanks for all the kinds words and comments... this was of course just a teaser for the month of October that is slowly but surely creeping up on us. I have so much good stuff lined up for that month, I seriously hope I can fit it all in!

UP NEXT: A trip to TV LAND!

Crafty C said...

wow - i love the images from both books - but the atmosphere in the images of the second one is amazing. the one with the kid outside the house looking at the barn and the one with the kids with the bags on their heads are both so great.

Mr. Karswell said...

Quickly, find some pix of old 60s or 70's atmospheric barns-- and farmer's daughters with bags over their heads!

Crafty C said...

:)

I'll see what I can do.